Monday, March 17, 2014

Getting Stronger

I have been writing some small articles for the Washington chapter of US Lacrosse. For some reason it has been surprisingly stressful. This is just a volunteer opportunity, it should be pretty low key, but I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself. As I sit down to write, or even just to plan, I actually get butterflies in my stomach. I already have a packed schedule, it would be easy to back out of this opportunity. But I keep telling myself the same thing I tell my kids, "If you already knew how to do it, you wouldn't need to practice." It's like working out. It only works if it hurts.

Life's challenges are supposed to be tough. It's how we grow stronger. Here's five lessons I've learned from muscle building rules:


1) Challenge yourself with every workout. In fact, lifting, pulling and pushing weight every day should be extremely uncomfortable. If you limit your experiences to your "comfort zone" you will never grow. Be brave, be uncomfortable.

2) Add more weight and reps over time. You'll know it's time to add more weight to a particular routine when it starts to feel easier. That's good news, it means the things you find uncomfortable at first will eventually become easier. Great! Now find new challenges.

3) Don't spend too much time on cardio. Weight training requires loads of energy, and if yours has already been used up by a long run or bike ride, you won't have enough left over to give weight training your best shot. Make sure you are not filling your life with "busy." Leave room in your schedule to try something new, learn a new skill, volunteer.

4) Train every muscle groupAll the muscle groups in your body work together, and it's important to give them equal attention. I had a friend mention that I might be spreading myself too thin. That is something to be aware of as you begin reaching outside your comfort zone. But also be careful to keep a balanced life. Don't let your new efforts squeeze out experiences you are already pursuing.

5) Get adequate rest between workoutsYour body needs adequate rest in order to build back the muscle tissue you break down during workouts. If you work out every day, you'll never give your muscles the chance to get bigger and stronger. Challenge yourself. Then take the time to celebrate your bravery. Take a break to recharge, then get back to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment