Monday, January 5, 2015

How to tame the Green-Eyed Monster

I can't figure out why I get jealous when I see other kids perform; my kids have many great talents. Yet on days like today (at church there was a young girl who played a fantastic piano solo and a brother and sister who played a sweet violin duet), I find myself hoping/wishing my kids were as talented as them. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of these kids and think it's great they have developed their talents, but deep down I have this twinge of jealousy which I can't explain.


It must be the crazy mixed up values we have in our world. Excelling at a talent is a good thing, working hard at something teaches you so many valuable lessons. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, how important is the talent itself.

Here are five "talents" I want my kids to have that can't be presented at a show:

1) Honesty--I want others to say, "If that kid said it, it's true."

2) Perseverance--I want others to say, "That kid never gives up."

3) Courage--I want others to say, "Wow, that kid is brave."

4) Confidence--I want others to say, "That kid thinks he can do anything."

5) Thoughtful--I want others to say,"That kid is always so kind."


So, the next time I feel the green-eyed monster sneaking in, I'll pull up this list and consider how my kids are doing with these talents. Then I can smile as I enjoy the talents of other kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment