Sunday, March 29, 2009

I forgot

I forgot to tell you about Fast and Testimony meeting today.

It was one of those days when you sit and enjoy everyone's testimony, and fight that stomach rolling that means you need to get up, too. I am usually pretty good at fighting it off, but I couldn't do it today. Many people talked about the blessings of prayer and I felt like we had a themed testimony meeting. I knew I needed to share my feelings about prayer.

I have to admit, although I didn't in church, that I have been pretty lax in this area lately. It was kind of my way of "getting back" at Heavenly Father for taking Katie. I just figured that if he knows best then he might as well just do it and I will just wait on the sidelines for it to be done! Anyway, I recently realized that my temper tantrum had actually turned into laziness. I wasn't praying because I was too lazy to pray. I have since tried to do better and am mostly succeeding!

So, I decided to share some of my feelings about prayer, starting with the prayers that don't get answered the way you think they should. This is a sore point to me, of course. It hurts to hear about the mirales that occur everyday through faith and prayer. I know we couldn't have done any more than we did for our Katie, yet she was taken from us anyway. That means that another level of faith has to begin. Somehow we have to turn our will over to Heavenly Father. We have to believe that He knows best and to let his will bless our lives.

I do have a testimony of the power of prayer. Many times in my life I have felt the love and concern of others surrounding me and pushing me through the rough times. I am grateful for the emotional and spiritual support of my friends and family and that is all I can ask for. Thank you for positive thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I know you don't know me. I have read your blog before and today we sat 2 rows behind you at church.

    What you said today really hit home for me. I lost my sister to Cancer 2 years ago almost to the day. It always hurt when someone said the power of prayer healed someone. I always thought that maybe I didn't pray hard enough for her. You made me see that I prayed just fine. She just wasn't meant to get better.

    Thank you. I will carry your words with me forever. You helped me find peace that I thought would be lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady. I just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about Katie and you guys a lot over the past couple of weeks, knowing that it has been about a year. I miss her.

    Lots of love,
    Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. We were talking about this (all the testimonies about prayer) in FHE last night. Dianne said, "Some people said stuff about when Heavenly Father didn't answer their prayers, but really it was just that He wasn't answering the way they wanted Him to." I'm not happy when that happens either and have thrown my share of tantrums. I really appreciated your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought your testimony was beautiful and I am so glad you were willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to tell you that I love you. Thinking of you lots.
    Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete